Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving

How was your Thanksgiving?

Spent mine in bed. And not in the good way.

Tuesday before Thanksgiving, my throat said howdy to the killer bees that wanted to scout the area. My chest, always friendly, shook hands with the marauders, invited them in for tea and alveoli. I raced home to douse myself with Vitamin C and Echinacea, the palliative endorsed by millions and I went to bed with hope.

Shortlived hope and dashed the next day. Felt like junk. Throat bees were constructing some migrant accomodation and a few decided to reconnoiter into my ears making it difficult to hear at work.

There went the plans. Plans of making chocolate creme pies and rutabega for the family feast ~ dried up. Plans of snacking and picking and conventional Thanksgiving overindulgence ~ dashed. I sent my daughter over with pies and spent the day on the couch.

4 days in bed. The bees and I watched 6 episodes of "Third Rock from the Sun", 9 episodes of "Coffee Prince", and a half hearted attempt at "Cold Case Files". We read 2 paperbacks, 1.5 hardcover books, consumed countless Excedrin, Advil, Tylenol, Dayquil, cough drops, throat lozenges and tissues. We gargled with warm salt water, later with dissolved aspirin in warm water, took at least 8 baths, and a cold wet washcloth, a thermometer and heating pad saw constant use. Bees didn't care. They allowed me these small indulgences.

Kept my daughter away from the bees as much as possible. The Immortal was happy enough to sleep by the door and come over to lick my face occasionally. Bees don't like him.

I missed Thanksgiving Dinner, Black Friday, a birthday party (for several women, one of whom was ME), confession and mass.

Sunday, I felt like getting out of bed and taking a shower. This exhausted me, but I was able to freshen up and lay on the couch. The bees had gotten quiet ~ I think they knew their long weekend was over and it was time to pack the kids and whatever vocal chord they took a shine to and move on to the next community. I spent the whole day watching "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy on TNT - I think it's almost like 12 hours of movie. I fell in love with the characters and the movie all over again and didn't mind a bit.

The silver lining was that I had that full four days to recover from the killer bee infestation. I didn't have to go in to work OR take sick time.

And for that, I was thankful.

0 Comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online