Tuesday, July 17, 2007

I Want To Believe

I want to believe.

I read news yesterday that there is movement in the latest X-Files project. A script is finished. There are talks that filming will start in November with a potential release of November 2008. You can read about it here.

I really want to believe.

This announcement comes five years after The X-Files ended. And my emotions are mixed. The ending was unsatisfactory. Indeed, the last three seasons of the show lacked the energy that the earlier shows had. The main story arcs – the bees, the oil, the clones, the alien abduction of Mulder's sister, super soldiers, a faceless race, the greens, the greys, – it all became sordid and convoluted and weighty.

What I loved about the series and will always love, were the character interactions. The chemistry between Duchovny and Anderson was electric. The obvious affection and rapport they shared on screen was what drew me back every week.

The writing was superb – convoluted and weighty stuff aside, that is. Darin Morgan – a genius by the way – wrote or starred in some of my favorite episodes of all time. "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose", "Jose Chung's From Outer Space", and "Small Potatoes". Some of my other favorites include "Pusher", "One Breath", "Beyond the Sea", "Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man", and oh oh, "Post Modern Prometheus", "Bad Blood" and "Triangle". I would be hard pressed to pick an absolute favorite out of those.

The episodes that Duchovny had a hand in, by the way, showed a remarkable sensitivity and love for the characters and a wry sense of humor that I enjoyed.

So you know what? I really WANT to believe that this movie will be good. I really WANT to believe that Chris Carter, Frank Spotnitz et al will respect the characters sufficiently and present something that will honor the show and the fans. I do NOT want to believe that this is merely a money making vehicle.

But damn if I won't be there opening day. I'm such a tool.

0 Comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online