Friday, February 2, 2007

The "Other" Forms of Attachment, or "I Once was Lost..."

You will believe, I hope, that in addition to obsession, I can and do experience other forms of attachment.

You know puppy love – where in the beginning, you are SO SURE this is the one for you? Where you want to just take pleasure in it’s company and you can’t wait until you see it again? I’m in that stage with the show “Heroes” right now. It’s new, it’s shiny, and it has captivated me. Still walking the line though – if the little mercury balls don’t start glopping together, Timothy Kring? We’re going to break up. Just so you know.

Then, sometimes, puppy love leads to sincere affection – after you have passed the chemical stage and have settled into a comfortable, “let’s not go out tonight” place. You realize that it’s just nice to have the other around. It still makes you laugh; it still makes you go “Ahh”. That’s where I am with “The Office”. What a great show - it’s just such fun to watch! From the bootlicking sycophant Dwight to the hand-sanitizer-licking boozy Meredith.

Galloping past the obsessive (coughcough) Yoko phase of love and not quite reaching the bitter dregs of divorce attorney/marriage annulment animus (Season 8 & 9 of the Xfiles, as much as we liked Robert Patrick), we reach the apathetic juncture. You know what I’m talking about. Couldn’t care less? You have your standing date night but you just can’t muster the enthusiasm you used to? You just can't be bothered to shave?

That’s where I am with “Lost”. Oh how I loved the show at first; it had everything from hot hot Sawyer, to hot hot Sayid. It had mystery, pathos, sex appeal, and puzzles. Terry Quinn could act the crap out of anything and make you cry. I had read every spoiler out there and studied the glowing wall map! I knew what would happen in each episode in advance – and it drove my family wild. Someone is going to die tonight? Do you know who it is?? Omygosh, look! There’s Sayid in the tv while Kate is in saying good bye to her biological dad after she just blew up her drunken creepy stepdad! How cool! The soccer team has Hurley’s numbers on their shirts! Did you SEE THAT? Hey! Mr. Friendly looks just like the Gorton’s fisherman! WALT! WALT! WHERE’S MY BOY??!! I GOTTA SAVE MY BOY!

Then someone decided it would be a great idea to have a “mini” hiatus – No new shows from October to February. But February? No Repeats! Straight Shows Until The Season Finale!

Big mistake. Huge.

It left me for four months! It left me during the coldest and busiest time of the year, when I needed it most. You can imagine what happened; I mean, *sigh. My eye wandered and I strayed, OK? Held within the warm clasp of something new; maybe a little foreign and fascinating, the rest of the world now seems gray and uninviting.

It's coming back on February 7th from being away and I’m not sure what to do. Out of a sense of loyalty I’ve been trying to get that old spark back; reading spoilers, anticipating the date. The thing is I. Just. Don't. Care. Eh. I’m still willing to give the relationship a chance. I might be lured back. I might. Counseling is just too much effort. I don’t know. But right now, I don’t think its going to work out.

And believe me, it’s not him, it’s me.

Sorry? I need to get a date? Why yes. Yes I do.

0 Comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online